Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Healthy Hair Files


I'm not much of a hair expert at all. Or a beauty expert, if you really want to get down to it. I brush my hair only once or twice a week tops. Why am I even doing a post on healthy hair?? haha. Well, ever since I ombred my hair, I've been working hard to reverse the damage it has caused my ends. Never, ever again will my hair see an ounce of bleach. If I'm gonna go light, I'm gonna do it the good old natural way and just bum out at beach once summer gets here.

A lot of you have asked me how I maintain my hair and how I have managed to grow it so long in such a short period of time. I cut my hair above my shoulder s a little over a year ago (at least I got that out of my system), haven't cut it since, and already it hits right at my chest. I don't know what my secret is really. I just let nature run its course. And I guess my course is to have long hair. I am hoping that by summer, I'll have my original lengthy locks back. The messier and the more hippie-like the better. I want to be wearing a lot of bell bottoms this summer and I want to look legit. So, for said goal to be accomplished, I have been taking extra steps on top of my basic shampoo and conditioning routine to upkeep my ends and to stimulate my roots (which is me basically massaging my head as I shampoo and conditioner). 

Each night, while my hair is still damp, I rub in REDKEN's Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-in Treatment into my ends and let them air dry before going to bed. It's light and basic, so I don't feel like I have a lot of product in my hair while I sleep. The protein complex in this product works to keep my ends from breaking even more and giving them more shine.

For a little extra nourishment and attention in the morning, I use my spray bottle full of room temperature water and dampen my ends. Then I gently rub in Bumble and Bumble Brilliantine Hair Polish to add more moisture and shine. I like to rub it in messily to give my hair that bedhead look. Then I spray in Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray and rough up my hair even more all over. A touch of Arrojo's reFINISH Dry Shampoo at my roots makes sure I keep my volume during the day. If I ever feel like my hair is looking limp during the day at work, I'll just give it another rough and tumble with my hands, or flip my hair over a few times, to get it back in shape. 

Once a week, I use Dove's Anti-Frizz Serum to really zap out that dryness that so much affect my ends. After I shower, I'll apply a small amount, rub it in and let my hair air dry so that it fully absorbs. The oils act as a super deep moisturizing treatment for your hair which is exactly what I need since my last dye job pretty much stripped all the natural oils from my ends.

And, well, that really is just about it when it comes to keeping my hair looking and feeling healthy. No more whacky dye jobs for this head anymore! I've learned my lesson and am gonna embrace my true brown from now on :) BRUNETTES ROCK ON!

13 comments:

Seeking Style said...

I totally need to look into some leave in treatments - I look these up!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Theonlyfashionprincess said...

Great post. Love it x

Helena said...

My hair also grows very fast and I like to cut it in the winter so in summer I have long hair!!
Thank's for sharing your tips, I really love your blog :)

XOXO
http://fashion-mask.blogspot.com/

Sharmili said...

I'm so lazy when it comes to haircare, but I def want to try that dry shampoo

Mili from call me, Maeby

Oroma Roxella Rukevwe said...

I use all homemade products on my hair. Mainly because it's cheaper and it leaves my hair less greasy

A Blog by Oroma Roxella Rukevwe.

Jacqueline davis moranti said...

My secret is LUSH! They have the perfect products for my curly hair!

Burgundywhispers.com

Kacie Cone said...

I've been dying to try one of the not your mothers products!

Sasha said...

Love Brillance by bumble and bumble, it is quite good

Marisha Wick said...

My secret is Dove.It's making it shiny and even clearing up a bit of my dry scalp.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Michelle Lee said...

great products

http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com

India Zahn said...

love that salt spray!

riki jorden said...

Nice post,you can get related products about hair on healthy hair products

John Vonn said...

Excellent!
Thanks for giving a review in that blog.
products for healthy hair